"It takes more than simple presentation"

I always give an impression that I am timid. But believe it or not, I work in sales.

I made a decision to work in a sales company because I feel it was a lot better than working in a manufacturing firm. I worked in a Japanese company for 5 years in Clark Special Economic Zone. I have to admit that my education didn’t prepare me for that kind of job. I was an accounting student and yet I was working in a semi-conductor industry in the production line. The challenges were physically and emotionally draining.

What urged me to move to Metro Manila and take a job in sales was more on economic in nature. I always have this perception that sales is a lucrative profession. I soon realize that it also has its ups and downs. Money doesn’t really flow like water as I thought it to be.

Unlike controlled environment, there are different contributing factors to make us successful in sales. One of course, is our selling skills which is the most important thing to survive in sales industry. Nobody is born with selling skills. That’s why it is called skills because it has to be learned or acquired through study. But there are some people who are naturally confident, conversational and persuasive which would work wonders when you are in sales.

As for my case, I started working in the company trying to defeat my fear over the phone.

For consumable products, selling would focus more on the presentation of the products itself. But with the products like what our company provides, which are training solutions, it takes more than simple presentation. It takes a lot of probing to find out what the clients really need. And if we have an understanding on what their needs are, then that is the time that we match their needs to the products we find applicable for them. We don’t want to sell products for the sake of selling it. We sell the products because we know the clients need it. And we are hoping to build a business relationship with them. So the next time that they have requirements, you would be the first person they will think of calling.

Comments

Popular Posts