Importance of Rest for Productivity

I've been extremely busy these past few weeks, juggling a couple of online projects and business. Nevertheless, despite of having my hands full of stuff, I make sure to be well-rested. I tried to get enough sleep, which means not less than 6 hours. And I take a break typically every 2-3 hours. A little diversion--watching TV, eating, social networking, and sometimes some power nap--seems to energize me a bit.

I can feel my energy level declines as I work continuously; hence, it is very important for me to take that short break between my working hours. And if I feel really tired and sleepy, I don't deprive myself of it.

We don't have the same energy level and we have different coping mechanism with stress. In my case, my body and mind seems requires resting after 2-3 hours of straight work. Afterwards, I can work for another 2-3 hours with the energy level that doesn't compromise my productivity.

I came across this timely article 7 Things Highly Productive People Do in Inc. One of the tips given is to work in 60 to 90 minute intervals.  Furthermore, it states that:

Your brain uses up more glucose than any other bodily activity. Typically you will have spent most of it after 60-90 minutes. (That’s why you feel so burned out after super long meetings.) So take a break: Get up, go for a walk, have a snack, do something completely different to recharge. And yes, that means you need an extra hour for breaks, not including lunch, so if you’re required to get eight hours of work done each day, plan to be there for 9.5-10 hours.


Comments

Popular Posts